What is a Peer?
A person who uses his or her lived experience of recovery from mental illness and/or addiction, plus skills learned in formal training, to deliver services in behavioral health settings to promote mind body recovery and resiliency.
What is a Peer Support Specialist?
At Vitality integrated Programs, our Peer Support Specialists do many jobs, work in many positions and do many things, but …The primary role of a peer provider is to promote and support the recovery of their peers (our clients).
- Provide Support and Advocacy
- Role Model Recovery journeys
- Facilitate Positive Change
Our Peer Delivered Health and Wellness Services involves:
- Assisting an individual with accessing needed care and prevention services
- Helping set personal health goals to promote recovery and a wellness lifestyle
- Providing support for adopting and sustaining healthy habits and behaviors in order to prevent disease onset and/or lessen the impact of existing chronic health conditions (Swarbrick, 2013)